Update April 2017:
University senior leadership has approved five Sustainability 2020 project proposals for funding. These include three water conservation projects that, when completed by 2020, will meet or exceed the water conservation goals set for by the Sustainability 2020 plan. A comprehensive waste diversion proposal was also approved that will also meet the 2020 goals. Senior leadership also approved resources for USC Purchasing that will lay the groundwork for a comprehensive sustainable procurement program by 2020. Below are the approved proposals:
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has delayed their targeted start of construction of the Downtown Water Recycling Project (WRP) which will provide a source of recycled water for the University campus. The updated timeline has a targeted start of construction of 2020. Therefore, the USC Sustainability 2020 project for installation of recycled water pipe to connect to the city infrastructure will be delayed until such time as the LADWP project is confirmed or completed. For more information on the recycled water infrastructure proposal, click here.
Water Fixture Upgrade
Funding has been approved for the Sustainability 2020 water fixture upgrade project. The project will be implemented on the following schedule:
- Phase 1: Beginning October, 2018 = Approximately 300 fixtures.
- Phase 2: Beginning January, 2019 = Approximately 600 fixtures.
- Phase 2: Beginning January, 2019 = Approximately 300 fixtures.
For more information on the water fixture upgrade proposal, click here.
Funding has been approved for the Sustainability 2020 water metering project. This project brings 19 sub-meters to the UPC campus, providing a better profile of building types. The project will be implemented on the following schedule:
- Phase 1: April, 2018 = Approximately ten sub-meters.
- Phase 2: July, 2018 = Approximately nine sub-meters.
For more information on the water metering project proposal, click here.
Waste Diversion Plan
Funding has been approved for the Sustainability 2020 Waste Diversion Project. The project will be implemented on the following schedule:
- Phase 1 (75 bins): Beginning July 1, 2017 = USC Village to 34th St., west of Trousdale to Jefferson, Vermont on the east and Downey on the south.
- Phase 2 (95 bins): Beginning December 20, 2017 = Inside Exposition, Trousdale, Downey, Vermont.
- Phase 3 (105 bins): Beginning July 1, 2018 = East of Trousdale to Figueroa, Jefferson and Exposition.
- Phase 4 (100 bins): Beginning December 30, 2018 = Center campus between 34th, Downey, Trousdale and McClintock
For more information regarding the waste diversion plan implementation, click here.
USC Business Services has engaged a fixed-term Senior Procurement Specialist to assist with drafting a procurement sustainability policy, integration strategy, and benchmark sustainable surplus sales programs. The specialist is expected to complete work by July of 2018. For more information on the procurement assessment proposal, click here.