The nature of today’s environmental problems demands a collaborative response from within the USC community, and alongside our neighborhood stakeholders, to create progressive momentum and positive change.
This momentum has recently compelled action by students on campus, who have founded the new Environmental Student Assembly and Green Engagement Fund. Future innovation will require additional support from and interaction with the USC community. Managing USC’s campuses as living laboratories for sustainability encourages student pioneers and interdisciplinary academic inquiry.
Goal 1: increase awareness of existing campus sustainability practices and set targets to increase activity
- Develop metrics for sustainability engagement and set relevant targets
- Develop an awareness campaign
- Develop annual sustainability programming
- Implement ongoing programming for sustainable behaviors in USC Housing
Goal 2: establish the USC campuses as living laboratories for sustainability
- Connect courses and research to campus projects
- Expand access to students and faculty regarding utility information
- Expand the student Green Engagement Fund, enabling students to
implement sustainability projects on campus
Goal 3: engage the community in sustainability practices
- Foster external partnerships with local government
- Develop an Urban Sustainability Extension/Sustainability Clinic
- Develop a Sustainability Alumni Network